This is the eBook version of the printed book. If the print book includes a CD-ROM, this content is not included within the eBook version.
This integrated learning solution teaches all the Oracle PL/SQL skills you need, hands-on, through real-world labs, extensive examples, exercises, and projects! Completely updated for Oracle 11g, Oracle PL/SQL by Example, Fourth Edition covers all the fundamentals, from PL/SQL syntax and program control through packages and Oracle 11g’s significantly improved triggers.
One step at a time, you’ll walk through every key task, discovering the most important PL/SQL programming techniques on your own. Building on your hands-on learning, the authors share solutions that offer deeper insights and proven best practices. End-of-chapter projects bring together all the techniques you’ve learned, strengthening your understanding through real-world practice.
This book’s approach fully reflects the authors’ award-winning experience teaching PL/SQL programming to professionals at Columbia University. New database developers and DBAs can use its step-by-step instructions to get productive fast; experienced PL/SQL programmers can use this book as a practical solutions reference. Coverage includes
• Mastering basic PL/SQL concepts and general programming language fundamentals, and understanding SQL’s role in
• Using conditional and iterative program control techniques, including the new CONTINUE and CONTINUE WHEN statements
• Efficiently handling errors and exceptions
• Working with cursors and triggers, including Oracle 11g’s powerful new compound triggers
• Using stored procedures, functions, and packages to write modular code that other programs can execute
• Working with collections, object-relational features, native dynamic SQL, bulk SQL, and other advanced PL/SQL capabilities
• Handy reference appendices: PL/SQL formatting guide, sample database schema, ANSI SQL standards reference, and
Benjamin Rosenzweig is a Software Development Manager at Misys. Previously he was a Principal Consultant at Oracle. His experience ranges from creating an electronic Tibetan—English Dictionary in Kathmandu, Nepal, to supporting presentation centers at Goldman Sachs and managing trading systems at TIAA-CREF. As an instructor at Columbia University’s Computer Technology and Application Program, he was awarded the Outstanding Teaching Award. Rosenzweig wrote and presented Oracle Forms Developer: The Complete Video Course, and coauthored Oracle Web Application Programming for PL/SQL Developers.
Elena Silvestrova Rakhimov is Senior Developer and Team Lead at Alea Software. She has more than fifteen years of experience in database development in a wide spectrum of enterprise and business environments, ranging from non-profit organizations to Wall Street. She has taught database programming at Columbia University.